Lost in Baby Time Warp Land


I slept on a living room sofa last night to remain available to Sam and Courtney. Around 7 am, my shift began. “Here mom,” Sam said as he handed over Elijah, “Can you help?”

My ten-day old grandson has stirred and squirmed during the wee hours, tiring his mom and dad. So, I took the bundle long before coffee, and nestled him close for hours. When feeding time began, I sank back onto the sofa and slept for a few more hours—until Elijah filled my arms a second time.

Thus, my morning routine didn’t begin until well after noon. Which seems to be the norm in baby time warp land.



My son has extended leave from work, adding to the sense of rest. While the sound of hustling cars whips through their apartment walls, the newborn pace inside insulates our posse from the surrounding rat race. 

It’s like a never-ending Christmas Day.




Even on my days off, when I hung out at my home, I struggled to focus on deadlines. After holding my grandson off and on for several days, the new baby drug dulled my senses, draining any sense of urgency.

Jarring news headlines seemed less important. Quieter even. Faded into the background of the miracle of new life.

For, in baby time warp land, adults simply feed, change, hold, and calm a squiggly, tiny human who's dependent on them for everything. And that sense of purpose trumps all others, allowing the purest kind of wonder to invade previously untouched places in a soul.

There, a distinct sense of wholeness calms every day concern. And the world seems like a good place after all.



Lulled by the cries of a needy infant, I even succumbed to once a week blog posts. However, a few other stories of mine recently posted to online sources. And if you'll indulge me, I'd like to share them with you.

First, for those with a chronic illness, check out this link: 

Broken but Priceless.

I recently agreed to write the devotion and Bible reading plan (pg. 29 & 32) for the well done quarterly publication. The entire magazine is well worth your time.

Second, about once a month, an article of mine posts to Just 18 Summers where you'll find parenting tips and devotions. Surprisingly, Charisma Magazine - SpiritLed Women picked up this months posting. Seeing my name on their website still feels surreal.

Much like the baby boy snoozing at my side.






Elijah's squeaky baby breaths and artistic hand motions undo me.

How does this happen? How do a few cells multiply into so many more, creating a perfect, tiny replica of a big person? It's crazy. And cool. And leads me to wonder.

Filled with the wonder that encompasses baby time warp land, I trust our creator's plan and will rest easy - even on a couch.





Most photos courtesy of pixabay.com

4 comments

  1. A brand new baby—God's way of slowing the world down and making us take note of His many wonders! That is one adorable little guy! Those first days are so precious and his parents are blessed to have you there to help.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top