The Last Three Months

After a four hour drive late last night, I started my day with hotel coffee, and not the upscale kind. But it more than sufficed.

For when I ate breakfast with my oldest son on his birthday last Wednesday, I said, "I have some money I can give you or we can go to the beach for two nights during spring break."

Eager for a respite from his high school students, he didn't hesitate, "Let's go to the beach!"

When my daughter-in-law, Courtney, heard our plan, she wailed, "I wanna come too!"

"Well come on then!" I urged.

Before long, Sam, her husband (and my youngest), made plans to join us. But strep throat kept him from travel at the last minute.

So I woke in Savannah, GA this morning and savored time with Courtney while Nathan hid in the lobby, eating breakfast and working on a paper. 

Dressed and ready, we strolled historic city blocks in search of lunch. After a non-GMO taco indulgence, we rode to a near-by park where we walked more. There, we met my sister and her daughter and ambulated even more. 

Still not done, we drove to the river front, parked, and crossed the cobblestone street. Lured by a famous candy store, we browsed rows of chocolate. 



In time, a soft but steady rain forced an end to our extended family time. Laura and Jess headed home while my crew drove on to the beach. 

Now I sit in another hotel, with a view of the ocean, resting my weary feet. The feet that carried me all day without the aid of a wheelchair or walker.

And that, my friends, is a super big deal.

I could take it for granted. Especially since it felt so normal. But I won't. Instead, I'll shout it out one more time:

I walked around town all day like a normal tourist without a mobility aid.




Will it always be this way? I don't know. But I can head to bed thankful for what transpired today and trusting God for what may come tomorrow. 

For as I was writing, we learned that a fellow classmate of my boys has been arrested for inappropriate contact with a student. Police believe the relationship has been going on since January. 

So while I was bemoaning no-weight bearing and healing again from a tendon tear, a young teacher was succumbing to life altering behavior.

This may sound odd, but the contrast of her last three months compared to mine has made me far more thankful for the slowed pace and forced rest. Humbled, I realize how fortunate I am to have to rely on Him for every step. 

What about you?

The first quarter of the year has past. Do you recognize growth in your life? Can you see the healing He has done? 

If not, don't worry. Just press in again. 

He longs to draw us near. 




All non-family photos courtesy of pixabay.com

No comments

Back to Top