Walking Out Pain

A coffee cup sits on my night stand this morning because I'm partaking in bed. A fluffy down comforter warms my legs while caffeine does it's thing.

I haven't been quite normal lately.

I started walking on my post surgery foot this week and while it's nice to be scooter free, every step provokes pain. I know it will ease in time, but the exchange tires me.

I changed the way I take a pain medicine knowing the transition was at hand, and find my emotions a little wacked out as a result. Round the clock anti-inflammatories dull my heart in the depressive way. So I skipped last nights dose in hopes of conquering the blues.

But there's another thing going on. There's a funeral today that is weighing on my heart. I'm not traveling the distance. But a slice of my heart is there.

In three weeks and half weeks, a sweet girl named Courtney will officially be my daughter-in-law. A dear friend of hers lost her mother this week. Voni died just three days after doctors realized she had stage four cancer throughout her body.

While that in itself stirs deep emotion, the hardest part is that Voni's daughter - Courtney's childhood friend - was sentenced to three years in prison just two weeks ago after causing an accident that killed a fifty-six year old woman while driving under the influence their senior year in high school.

She was allowed one hour in the hospital to say goodbye to her mom but was released for a few days this week to attend the visitation and funeral.

My right ankle and foot really hurt right now. Walking wears me out. But McKenzie will be maneuvering around a prison with some of the deepest inner aches this life doles out.

In reality, we're all pushing through pain. Some just more acute than others. Meds dull the ache sometimes. But the Redeemer of our souls offered His body for lasting life and His blood so we'll never thirst.

Let's partake today. Let's lay our burdens at the cross. Nothing surprises Him. Nothing is impossible for Him. He is enough when we let go and trust.

And when you read this, will you take a moment to pray for McKenzie and her family and for Courtney and Sam who walk the aisle in just over three weeks.

4 comments

  1. I just read this...and just prayed....may the God of all comfort be close..and may all who have need draw near.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, you have such a tender, moving, right perspective on life. Praying for McKenzie and her family and so sorry that they are having to travel this road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The part I left out of the blog, Deb, is that I wrote McKenzie a letter the week after she went to jail and received the sweetest reply only hours before we learned her mom was dying. Her letter made that news all the more bizarre to process. But I'm reading through John... Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty." (6: 35) The simple truth there for my heart to remember.

    Thanks for praying.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top