How Heaven Became Real (pt. 4) - Nathan and the Pink Choo-Choo's

Flower Toy Train Mug
You may not have been aware, but when I sipped a cup of wake-up-Joe a few days ago, my cool factor had increased exponentially. We're talking... exponentially!!

Why? Because I saw Austin Mahone in concert this week. For real.

My dear friend, Debi, continues to wait for her healing as liver and lung cancer ravage her body. Ever radiant, she defies the pain causing illness that often leaves her breathless. To pass the time about a month ago, her daughters spent a day determined to win tickets from a radio station to the post Brave's Game concert last week.

And they succeeded!

Their dad bought two tickets not far from their seats, but had to give them up as the day approached. So Nathan and I got to chaperone Olivia and Makayla and experience a screaming crowd of middle and high school girls at peak volume.

Flashing lights. Shrieking teens. Rockin' music. Just what the doctor ordered -an unexpected win during a difficult time.

It reminded of another favorite God moment during the summer of the angel and Jason's decline...

Knowing we wanted a second child soon after Nathan, we painted his room a neutral color in case the nursery was shared by a little girl. God sent us Samuel instead.

By the time that hard summer rolled around, the boys were three and four and the mint green walls with teddy bears beckoned for change.  As avid train lovers, it wasn't hard to pick a new theme. But what stumped me most was Nathans insistence that the new decor include, "Red, blue, green, yellow, and... pink choo-choo's."

Pink choo-choo's? Seriously?

Not long after, however, Nathan and I passed a garage sale sign as we drove home from an outing. A quiet nudge stirred my soul. I ignored it for a quarter mile due to the fact I dislike combing through garage sales. But the feeling persisted.

I gave in, turned the car around, and pulled into the designated neighborhood. I drove a short distance and found myself following a car whose passenger got out every few feet and pulled up the signs that led to the sale.

We arrived at the cluttered driveway as a middle aged woman was putting things away. Looking lost, she finally approached me and asked, "Are you looking for anything in particular?"

"I'm not sure. But do you have any comforter sets for boys?" I asked.

"Sure. Come back here."

She led me to the back of her garage where she pulled out a white comforter covered in red, blue, green, yellow, and... pink choo-choo's. The mother of an only child even had two bed covers because her son had switched from a twin to a double bed. The two spreads were a perfect fit for our top twin and bottom full combination metal bed frame.

I about cried as I gushed over the answered prayer. The set included wall border, numerous throw pillows, shams, a wall hanging, and the comforters - all for just $35.00.

Low on money, we were thrilled to have redecorated their room for $35 plus the cost of paint.

Days of decline were still to come, but that bedroom served as one more reminder that God was with us in the battle. For hope invaded our suffering again and hung on the walls of my boys room for many years. 

"God is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." (Psalm 34: 18)


No comments

Back to Top