Unwavering Faith


I was sipping coffee at my kitchen table, minding my own business, when heavy footsteps started down the stairs. Nathan  turned the corner, dressed in khakis and a navy polo.

"Where are you going?" I asked, surprised.

"It's Sunday," he replied, "I'm going to church."

Comfortable in my PJ's on what I thought was a Saturday morning, I hesitated and then offered, "I don't think so. It's Saturday."

Startled, Nathan said, "It can't be. We just had a conversation that made me think yesterday was Saturday, making today Sunday."

As caffeine stimulated mental gears, I second guessed myself, not sure who was wrong, Nathan or me. I was fairly certain I was right, but his assertion made me question my resolve. He was dressed with gelled hair. Ready to walk out the door. My frame was crowned with a dirty mop and wrapped in frumpy PJ's.

Surprised that his perception made me doubt my own, I rehearsed the last few days, "Thursday was Aunt Laura's birthday. And mom, Laura and I went to the High Museum of Art to celebrate on Friday. That was just yesterday, so today is Saturday!!"

"Oh," he offered, "I'm not sure how I messed that up. But I guess I did."

Triumphant, I savored the last few drops and relished the fact I hadn't lost my mind. But the interaction made me think about how easy it had been for his confidence to override my own... which reminded me of how easy it is to allow world events to do the same.

Robin Williams committed suicide this week. ISIS barreled through Iraq, threatening the USA. Throw in the crisis in the Ukraine, minority refugees starving on Sinjar Mountain, and the Ebola epidemic in Africa and doubt, fear, and anxiety easily override peace.

While I read about world bullies and their displays of evil, a quote lingered in a back corner of my mind, "'Don't be afraid,'  the prophet answered. 'Those who are with us are more than those who are with them.'" (2 Kings 6:16)

Elisha had successfully protected the King of Israel from attacks by the King of Aram. The enemy King grew frustrated and learned the prophet was to blame. So he sent a group to capture him.

 "When the servant of the man of God got up the next morning, an army with horses and chariots had surrounded the city. 'Oh, my Lord, what shall we do?' the servant asked." (2 Kings 6: 15)

That's when Elisha said, "Don't be afraid... Those who are for us are more than those who are with them.

And Elisha prayed, 'O Lord, open his eyes so he may see.' Then the Lord opened the servant's eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha." (2 Kings 6: 17)


Elisha prayed that his enemy's eyes would be blinded. And they were. After promising to lead the group to the man they sought, he led them straight to the King of Israel instead. Once inside the city, the prophet prayed that their eyesight would be restored. And it was. When the King asked if he should kill them, Elisha said, "No." So they fed them and sent them on their way. And the group no longer raided Israel.

(Read the entire story here: 2 Kings 6: 8 - 22 )

While I value the 'love your enemy' ending, hope surges in me when I imagine the crusty old man, surrounded by chariots of war, simply stating, "Those who are with us are more than those who are with them."

 It's like seeing beauty in the barren place.


An array of color in a dark storm.


Or finding a cross in the after math of 9/11.


"Those who are for us are more than those who are with them..."

Oh to live with unwavering faith.


photo credit: Leo Reynolds via photopin cc
photo credit: Werner Kunz via photopin cc
photo credit: Marco Guada via photopin
photo credit: Marcus Rahm via flicker
photo credit: gravity_grave via photopin cc

3 comments

  1. You're right- how easy it is to lose our confidence and to become fearful..I'm reminded that the battle belongs to the Lord. I lost my confidence in a different way this week-I let Facebook(!) speak to me of my failures and feelings of 'less than'-have since been remembering that He is 'more than' and it is His truths that must speak into my soul.. Vicky x ps you are inspiring me to start blogging, not there yet but will let you know if I do (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. es, Vicky, FB is tricky like that sometimes!! Hard not to compare our lives with others. Stay strong and start that blog. It's great therapy for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement Susan, it's something I've thought about for a while and did attempt a few years ago but failed miserably! It's definitely in the things I'd like to do pile.. Have a good week : )

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top