Music Magic for a Sunday Surprise

Coffee sat on my night stand as a song played on my computer. Over. And. Over. Snuggled in my PJ's, comfy in bed, I listened to the results of a recent musical collaboration. 

 I spent a few hours at Reveal Audio Studios last night with my producer friend David Leonard, my oldest son, Nathan, and my nephew, Josh. Josh happened to be in our home last Saturday when I finished writing a song for my parent's surprise 50th wedding anniversary party. So Nathan, Josh, and I put our musical talents together and arranged the composition. Their harmonies brought life to the music in a way I could never have imagined on my own.

Our efforts paid off when we shared it at the get together the following day. And after singing it several more times in an attempt to capture it on cell phones after the sun went down, I hardly slept. The sound played in my subconscious and woke me in the wee hours, creating an emotional buzz I couldn't calm

Ironically, as I soaked in a similar feeling as it replayed for the fourth or fifth time this morning, I clicked on a news site only to learn about the Charleston, South Carolina church shooting. While I read the article, a video clip inadvertently started. So for a short time, both the song and the news account played through my computer. 

The juxtaposition jarred me. The celebration of love contrasted sharply with the epitome of hate. So I turned off the news and enjoyed the harmonies. Just for a time.  

For as our party came to a close Sunday afternoon, several caterers commented that their hearts were so full they wanted to be a part of our family. I laughed and assured them we're not a perfect family. Cause we're not. We've shared a lot of struggles along the way.

But faith and music have held us like glue. Our shared faith would have be enough. But singing in harmony has connected us in the intangible way only music can. So we keep singing. 

Because love does last 50 years. Hate will not have the last word. And sometimes singing is just a good thing to do.

Here's to Mom and Dad who married on June 19th, 1965. 

Happy 50 years, indeed.

[PS: I wrote the song. Josh accompanied us on guitar, and Nathan and Josh added back up vocals.]



photo credit: Tasses cœurs via photopin (license)

2 comments

  1. Susan,

    This is really fabulous...very thoughtful and creative!

    Congratulations to your Mom and Dad.

    Best wishes to you,

    Jim Hoogerwerf
    S/OB-72
    Delta Capt. Ret

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind, comments, Mr. Hoogerwerf. Dad says you're a writer as well. So I appreciate your comments all the more. Blessings! susan

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top