Eggs the Calico Tabby Cat

I bought my first Starbuck's iced coffee for an extra kick as I drove to the hospital Wednesday. I loved the coffee but not the reason for my trip. My daughter-in-law's mother had just been placed in ICU after a minor surgery turned major a few days earlier.

By the time I drove home after hanging out with Sam and Courtney in the ICU waiting room all afternoon, Gloria's kidney's had started working again. But only after several long hours left doctors and family guessing. 

Over lunch the next day, I rehearsed the ordeal with a friend whose husband died just under a year ago. She listened patiently but eventually blurted, "Tell me more about your stray cat. I want to talk about something fun. In fact, why haven't you blogged about... Eggs?"

Then she giggled and mocked the name, forcing me to defend my honor. Because our formerly homeless cat is slowly becoming a part of the family. Even if her name is Eggs.



As a stray, Eggs cried so loud outside Nathan's apartment door three weeks ago, I thought someone was impersonating a cat. But Nathan explained she'd been hanging around the first floor landing, crying at night for at least a week.

A frayed, pink collar indicated she belonged to someone at some point. But her loud cries made it obvious those days were past.

Enthralled by the hungry and skittish creature, I remembered the chicken salad I left in the car and hurried to pick out meaty morsels. But even as I set the bowl on the floor, I questioned my resolve. To be frank, I don't really like cats. I'm a dog person.

I have a deep down love for this dog. And this dog only. My mother's King Charles Cavalier stole my heart a long time ago and makes me wish for a Lilly of my own.


But Cavalier King Charles pups are too expensive for my budget, and ironically, after the stray kitty munched the bowl of chicken, she wandered the room in such a way that I finally stated, "She's kind of like a dog." 

She twirled around our legs, jumped from the sofa to the floor and then back again, meowed in a pathetic way that twirled my heart, and gazed with intelligence through her very large eyes.


She hung out while Nathan, Sam, Courtney, and I watched The Boxtrolls. As odd little animated boxed men collected shiny things in the dark and fought off the red hatted, highly lactose intolerant bad guy, the stray kitty charmed me. And I couldn't leave her homeless.

Food lured her into my car and right before I drove away, I looked out my cracked window and told the gang, "I think I'll call her Eggs." Watch below.




I left her in my basement overnight and couldn't find her the next day... and blamed Don, thinking he left the garage door open too long, allowing her to run away. 

I. Was. Very. Wrong.

Eggs came out from hiding five days later, only hours before we left on vacation. Food, water, and kitty litter got her through the week in our absence. And two days after we got home, she came out from hiding again. 

Don and I enjoyed a morning date to the vet just last week. He claims that he didn't realize how embarrassing the name was until they called her name and he had to stand up in front of a room full of pet owners. But after introducing his former cat as "Killer" to numerous students throughout the last nine years, I feel no pity. 

Her name captures the essence of the evening I fell prey to a stray - an eight month old, female, calico, tabby stray.
 

We had a week to bond before Lilly came for a visit. When the puppy appeared, Eggs hid in the basement for several more days. But just this morning  she spent a few hours in the same room as the dog. They aren't quite friends yet, but I hold out hope.

For after learning Eggs is a tabby cat, I googled the term and read, "Some say that tabby cat personalities are distinct from other cats in the sense that they are more like the personalities of dogs."

I knew it.

I like dogs. Don likes cats. And Eggs brings a touch of both. 

Let's just say, we're definitely getting somewhere!



8 comments

  1. Oh! I loved this story and the punchline about Eggs being a Tabby "dog cat." Ken and I are getting a cat too. Our daughter and her hubby have 2 dogs and 2 cats and a baby on the way. They decided that was about 2 too many, so we're bringing home Melvin, the tuxedo cat. I'm so excited, and your post made me even more so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed! She likes to hang out on Don's basement desk these days. He came up just yesterday and said, "Your cat just got more expensive." She chewed through several wires overnight. So beware! Deep down, however, I think he respects her more for showing inner strength. Besides, I keep reminding him that she is no longer just, "My cat!" This is a joint adventure even if I started it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FYI many computer wires have a coating that attracts the type of cat that is a "chewer" or "sucker.' Siamese are famous for chewing through wool; we presently have 2 cats (Downey and Lambert) who have chewed through more computer cords than we can keep up with.

      To discourage the cat, put a light coat of Vaseline on the cords, or cooking spray. You can also get herbal based sprays t Petsmart. Cats hate sticky surfaces so a bit of double sided tape can work, also.

      It is bad for the cat to chew the cords for many reasons, but worst is they will swallow the wire and it may have to be surgically removed! This happened to Downey!

      Anymore cat question? Give me a holler!!!!!

      Delete
  3. I'm surprised Lily didn't lick Eggs to frustration! When I stayed with your parents, I got a thorough bath a few times, not to mention hugs! Mark had warned me to take my glasses off, thankfully.

    You say you cannot afford the spaniel, but look who God provided you: a free friend who is priceless and no amount of money can buy her gratitude for you rescuing her from a life outside where her existence is doubtful for very long. I LOVE her name; you remember that all of my pets (and others) are named after doctors, so I can identify with Don in the waiting room (except for Andy's cat from graduate school, Stinky Steele...)

    Prayers for Courtney's Mom (Tech isn't doing too good against Clemmon right now...), and love to them all, including Nathan.

    Great posting!

    As a Mother owned by many tabbies in my life, I agree that they are the best! You notice the little "M" on her forehead? This is why (and a children's sermon I used to do):

    When the baby Jesus was born, He cried and cried, being a baby and all. Mary tried to quiet Him with warm hugs, singing; the cows softly MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOed, the lambs BAHHHHHHed softly and even the donkeys he-hawed to try and quiet down the precious king (and the cattle were lowing?). Nothing seemed to work until the resident barn cat jumped into the hay with the precious Lord Jesus and began to purrrrrrrrrrrr. The child fell instantly into a peaceful sleep To show gratitude, Mary placed an "M" on the cats head to signify "Mary's Helper" and covered him in stripes like the mighty tigers who guarded the jungles.

    And that's why tabbies are so special and will always sing you to sleep. With my latest pride of 7 rescued cats, Spenarckle, Quincy and Bleier sing me to sleep each and every night!

    I love you, Susan! scratch Eggs for me!
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really good info, Claudia! I'll pass the wire part along to Don. Thanks for sharing all that! Blessings back to you! Love, susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susan, love your new addition-very sweet ( : Also just watched you jumping out of an aeroplane (the video showed up after your Lily and Eggs one) - amazing and terrifying!! I always look for your new posts and enjoy reading your view on life-nuggets to dwell on which I appreciate. Love, Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jumping out of an airplane was a life changer! I highly recommend it. Thanks for reading and commenting. I value our virtual friendship!! Love you back! susan

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top