Eggs, the Debate, and a Strawberry Moon

As the Monday night Presidential debate passed the thirty minute mark, I picked at my nails. Then, unable to sit still, I jumped up the moment I remembered a half-eaten container of Haagen-Dazs coffee ice cream sat on a freezer. shelf. Having purchased it for Courtney, I was thankful she didn't eat it all.

In need of a diversion, I grabbed a bag of walnuts to go with the ice cream and two spoons. Back on our bed, Don and I indulged in tasty stress-eating while the candidates swapped verbal punches.

It helped.

Some.

However, no matter what candidate you support, these are muddy times that have left many on edge. And we'll be walking that ledge for a while.

It's an uncomfortable place. But I gained new perspective this week when I got to play God with our tabby cat, Eggs.

While my bronchial issues are much better than they were this summer, I still battle a persistent cough about once a day. After considering several potential causes, Don and I decided to rid our bedroom of carpet and install laminate flooring. Dust mites and pet dander will soon be greatly diminished in our home.

Wanting to spend as little money as possible, we moved the furniture and pulled up the carpet ourselves. So while others lounged at the beach during fall break this week, Don and I emptied our bedroom into the living room and then reinstalled it again 48 hours later.

The work was hard. But we understood the big picture gain.

Eggs, on the other hand, did not.




Used to seeking refuge under our bed, her safe place slowly unraveled as mayhem ruled.

I offered many reassurances, but no matter how many tender words I cooed, a distinct language barrier made clear communication impossible.

So Eggs got nervous. Real nervous.

And I felt like God.

While her small world turned upside down, I understood the big picture perspective.

Everything would be just fine.





Things would change. Her under-bed hideaway would no longer include soft, shag carpet. But the exchange would keep her pet dander from lingering in man-made fibers. And thus her presence in our home an easier thing to accommodate.

But as the bed came apart and the carpet exposed plywood boards, she hunched under the back corner of her cat tree and stared with large, round eyes.

Shaken, her entire world felt unsafe.

Just like ours sometimes.

But just like with Eggs, there's a big picture story being told. We know the end. And we know who's in charge. But a lot of ground-shaking change will occur between now and the time eternity unfolds.

It's not easy and often feels unsafe.

But just like I knew Eggs could trust us to take care of her in midst of the upheaval, I know we can lean all the more into the arms of The Almighty - no matter who wins the election.

So breathe. Indulge in a little stress eating. Pray an awful lot. And then remember that the same God who created the Strawberry Moon to shine its reddish hue only once in a generation, longs to lavish your soul with His love.

Rest in it. Receive it.

And maybe even, take a moment to listen to my new song. It's my favorite composition to date. I wrote it this summer, shortly after a strawberry moon graced our summer skies.

I'd been sick. Quite sick. And felt dislodged from too many norms.

But the words led me to hope again.

And they still do.

And if by chance they stir your soul, will you consider sharing the video with others? I sure would appreciate it.






Pictures courtesy of pixabay.com

2 comments

Back to Top