The Throne Is Established

On Wednesday morning, we will sip coffee and ponder the reality of a new president... unless chads cause a stir again.

Assuming we will not repeat the Bush/Gore prolonged election count, some will celebrate. Others will reach for antacids.

But not God.

This election doesn't scare The Almighty one bit.

All through the Old Testament and New (meaning all through the history of the world) people like you and me have faced political turmoil, the rise and fall of nations, and the fear that accompanies both.

What we're going through is nothing new. It's not fun. But it's nothing new.

"He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and it's people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in. He brings princes to naught and reduces the rulers of this world to nothing" (Isaiah 40: 22-24 NIV).


We are called to live by faith, yet wake in a world of uncertainty. We are called to stand against all odds, yet our legs grow weak.

At least mine do.

So I've made a decision. No matter who wins tomorrow night, I will hold my hands high and yell with proper abandon:

"The Lord has established his throne in heaven and his kingdom rules over all" (Psalm 103: 19 NIV).

 Image purchased from Ted Larson

Will you join me?

You see, when my boys were very little, their dad taught them big words. After they could pronounce "diplodocus" to some degree, he then moved on to larger portions of scripture. The result? Sam was a few months shy of three and Nathan just over four when our little family could quote all of Psalm 91 by heart.

The whole thing.

No joke.

As my boys grew, I continued the tradition. We tackled new portions of scripture about once a year. And somewhere along the line, we memorized Psalm 103.

"Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits - who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases" (Psalm 103: 1-3 NIV).

I won't quote the entire passage. But I'll link to it again in case you're curious... Psalm 103.

The sacred words unfold as a detailed reminder of who our God is: Healer. Forgiver. Redeemer. Satisfier. Compassionate. Gracious. Slow to anger. Abounding in love.

Thus, half way through declaring the passage, my soul would ignite, melting layers of fear. And I often needed cleansing at day's end when we quoted the words at bedtime.

We would start off in a normal tone of voice, but two thirds of the way through, mine intensified.

"As for man, his days are like grass, he flourishes like a flower of the field; the wind blows over it and it is gone, and its place remembers it no more. But from everlasting to everlasting the Lord's love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children's children. With those who keep his covenant and remember to obey his precepts" (Psalm 103: 15-18 NIV).

And then came this declaration. The one that summed it all up and brought it home...

"The Lord has established his throne in heaven and his kingdom rules over all" (Psalm 103: 19 NIV).


Purchased from Ted Larson

The Psalmist closed his thoughts with three more verses of sheer praise. And tomorrow, no matter who wins, I want to dwell in that place with King David. I want to remember his life. The highs and lows. The victories and failures. The rise and fall. And then shout the words aloud:

"The Lord has established his throne in heaven and his kingdom rules over all" (Psalm 103: 19 NIV).

Then, I plan to smile, lay my head on a pillow, and thank God for His goodness and mercy and grace. All of which are undeserved.

Seriously, will you join me? Can we choose peace over fear? Confidence over distress? Victory over defeat?

It's a constant, daily choice.





Top photo courtesy pixabay.com

2 comments

Back to Top