The Next Step


As I sipped coffee and typed on my laptop yesterday morning, an unfamiliar pressure built behind my left eye. In time, I couldn't keep the words from splitting in two, even with my prism glasses on. So, when my mouth spasmed down and left again and pain increased, I went to the ER. 

Based on a very thorough exam, I’ll share the little I know. 

The CT angiogram that was taken ten days ago showed a Cavernous Carotid FistulaHowever, when the CT scan was repeated yesterday, the radiologist saw a “filling” in the cavernous sinus area. Due to the varying results, we won’t know exactly what’s going on until I have a more invasive angiogram Thursday morning—which my insurance has yet to approve.

Will you pray that the proper paperwork gets filed so we can go ahead with the procedure?


A fistula behind the eye can threaten vision, so the on-call neuro-ophthalmologist was contacted. After she ascertained that my optic nerve and blood vessels look healthy the ER team determined I did not need emergency intervention. 


The pressure still builds as I type and I fight low grade nausea when I move around too much. But the hours are ticking by and soon more dye and specialized x-rays will help doctor's discern a plan. 

So how do I feel?

Mostly calm.


I cancelled my end-of-the-year student recital and putzed around the house today. My shelves are polished, my kitchen clean, and the cat litter ready for another fill. I showered, napped, ate dinner with friends, and even played a round of Yahtzee. 

However, if someone asked if the whole thing feels odd, I would offer a resounding, "Yes! This feels very odd."



For those who don't remember, I lost my first husband to a brain tumor in 1996. Thus, the last time my mom and I hung out at Emory University Hospital, we were waiting to hear that he'd survived a surgical biopsy. 

With Don out of town this week, my mom, my oldest son, and I will head that way early on Thursday and wait to learn what's going on in my brain. It's definitely not the same as having a brain biopsy.

But it's simply odd. Hard to fathom even.



So where is God in all of this? I have only one answer:

In the very air that I breathe. 


Long summer days stretch ahead that I would rather fill with something other than hospital visits and medical concerns. But here, in this place of need, my agenda evolves from mine to His. A rare peace transforms worry into praise. And I can confidently end one more day, knowing He is enough.

I'm not angry or scared. Just surrendered. 

This is not my home. And I hope you don't consider it yours. For only when gravity no longer holds us captive can we confidently take the next step.



All photos courtesy of pixabay.com

10 comments

  1. So where is God in all this? I have only one answer:In the very air that I breathe..Such a beautuful, challenging and encouraging post Susan-will be praying for you tomorrow..

    The Eternal is my Shepherd, He cares for me always..Even in the unending shadows of death's darkness, I am not overcome by fear. Because You are with me in those dark moments..I am comforted.. Ps.23

    Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He cares for me always... I am not overcome by fear. Thanks for praying, Vicky! Love you!!

      Delete
  2. Susan,
    Praying for His unending peace and love to surround you always! You are His favorite! Praying for God's wisdom for all who are treating you tomorrow and for complete healing! Love you! Sarah Davis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! You are His favorite too. Love you!!

      Delete
  3. Love you tons, dear Susan. Praying for you, and anxiously waiting for updates!

    Amy B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll get them out as soon as I can. Love you, girl!!

      Delete
  4. Amen! He is in the very air you breathe. There's great comfort in that. Praying for you, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks always. Your timely message the other night was such a sweet reminder that I wasn't alone... that God was nudging others to pray. Blessings!!

      Delete

Back to Top