Livin' the Dream (part 2)


I woke in unit 1914, knowing coffee awaited in unit 2409. So, I dressed in a stupor, grabbed my morning medicines, and took an elevator up five floors. There I found my sister cooking eggs while her daughter flipped Canadian bacon and the rest of my family talked loud for my morning ears.

"Is there any coffee?" I asked.

"I think mom just started a pot," sister offered.

"How much did she add?" I continued, knowing mom and dad prefer a weak brew.

"I told her one scoop for one cup."

Relieved, I reached for the pot but it was still empty. Desperate, I noticed a half filled cup next to the stove. "Is this yours?"

"No," sister replied.

With no claimers nearby, I stood in a kitchen corner and sipped the lukewarm, non-sweetened remnants of someone else's morning high. And it sufficed.



A second round of the hot, fresh kind wiped another layer of slumber from my brow. But I still required a mid-morning nap - even at the beach.

For while I left on our trip early, my grandson's 104 degree temp caused a lengthy detour. Instead of packing our car and heading out, our threesome faced departure day with little sleep and a lot of worry. Little man had spiked his first major temp during the night and spent hours at the doctor's office instead of in the car. 

After a second fitful night's sleep and three antibiotic shots, he was well enough to make the trip. So, we pushed through exhaustion and drove the distance. 

Glad for extra helping hands, we've almost caught up on sleep. With everyone above the age of 18, except little man, the push for fun has slowed. Even I'm not quite as determined to sit on the ocean's edge. 

The view from above serves us well. 



So with that, I'm going to leave you with a video. My nephew, Josh, provided the accompaniment track back in April and my son, Nathan, finished the vocal track on Thursday. Excited to share their music, I spent hours working on it instead of packing. 

As my evening departure approached, Don even chided me, "Don't you need to get ready?" 

"I'm almost done..." I mumbled at least three different times before I finally finished.

And with all that's transpired since that evening, I can guarantee this wouldn't have gotten done if I hadn't sat glued to my chair. 

Does it matter? I don't know. 

But if you've got time, take a minute and savor this familiar song. Cause, we're still livin' the dream, I tell you. Whether cradling sick babies or sitting with a view. In Christ, we're livin' the dream.



All photos courtesy of pixabay.com

2 comments

  1. Beautiful Susan-thanks for taking the time to share �� Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you, Vicky! Enjoyed recent photos!!

      Delete

Back to Top