Grateful


When I prepped my coffee maker for this morning’s brew, I added two extra cups. Worn thin, I thought I might wake better knowing added fuel awaited. A handful of Advil went down with my first sips. So, I plan to burst forth from my painful haze and embark on a new day soon.

Words failed me last week. 

Between buying a new (used) car, teaching, and learning that I have a stress fracture in the second metatarsal of my left foot, I went under. Definitive x-ray proof validated my concerns. But, compensating for one side creates pain in the other. A circular problem, indeed.



Fortunately, I see a new hip surgeon tomorrow and hope for a better plan of care for the torn tendon in my right hip. I debated going. Even after strong encouragement. But a good encounter with the podiatrist gave me what I needed to keep from cancelling.

“I don’t know how someone with mitochondrial issues heals from a stress fracture,” Mr. Podiatrist confessed. “They don’t cover it in med school. I don’t know why... but they don’t.”

Stunned, I simply said, “Thanks for acknowledging that. For using the mito word.”

Since few doctors ever address the underlying issue that ties all of my medical stuff together, his words parted my foggy haze. Other docs may think it. But they don’t often say it out loud.

So, when I shared the rest of my recent doctor struggle and Mr. Podiatrist highly recommended I go for the second opinion, I left ready to face a new day. There’s no guarantee I won’t be dismissed tomorrow. But I now have the courage to try again.

And sometimes that’s all it takes to fill dark insides with vibrant color.



Weeks before, I told Don, “I feel off. There’s no sparkle in my soul. It’s like I feel brown.”

(Interpret that another way if you like. But I stuck with brown.)



When I wear an ankle brace on my left foot and a knee brace on my right leg, and use a walker or cane when out, I crawl into bed without crazy pain. And that’s a good thing. 

If I think too far ahead, the color might fade. So, I won't. Today, I'll celebrate a few things:

1) When I put an SOS out about the shin dig I hosted last night, my first elementary school friend offered to help. Stephanie drove over an hour. Arrived two hours early. And helped me get everything ready. 

I still can't thank her enough!





2) When numbers were low and another person cancelled, I reached out in different ways to a number of random people. All of my recent high school voice students rallied in less than 24 hours and showed up ready to sing. 

I'm still in awe that they carved out a last minute slot for me. 



3) Between Stephanie, my voice students, Hazel, Penny, Ute, Alex, Jimmie, Tina, and Julia, we made the video. My drive ways wasn't filled to overflowing, but man, I sure appreciate this crew. 

They learned motions and words in short time. And sang with enthusiasm. What more could I ask. 

Again, I'm filled with thanks.



Will we change the world or medical school text books? I don't know. But if we don't keep trying, people like me will continue to receive care from hesitant and overworked medical professionals.

So, here's to mitochondrial disease awareness week. Thank you for your t-shirt orders! Your prayers. Your donations. And support. 

I'm truly grateful. 



Most photos courtesy of pixabay.com

No comments

Back to Top