Digging Deep Against Discrimination

I drank coffee at my kitchen table because it's too cold to enjoy the screened in porch. Heavy with thought, I slowly awoke and decided to write. But even now, an hour later, a myriad of thoughts shuffle around in my brain and I struggle for focus.

My mother and I entered an elevator two weeks ago with a mom pushing a wheelchair that held a handicapped child. As we stood in line to check in for our doctor appointments her son communicated his intrigue with my knee scooter in a way only his mother could understand. But while I paid for my visit, the woman bluntly told my mom, "If anyone ever said something bad about this child, I would hurt them."

In the past two months, my family has faced discrimination due to our mitochondrial (genetic) disease in ways never before experienced. I've prayed. Forgiven. Trusted. And prayed some more. But just last night I spoke with  one of my boys and knew the weight of it all still lingers.

I'm not out to hurt anyone. But it's not easy to keep a clear mind when the world (and even fellow believers) can't stop long enough to embrace our brokenness as God's divine plan. One we can not control.

When I can't drive, can't move forward with ease, and require more rest than activity, I've discovered beauty in the simplest places. I've learned the quiet whisper of God's love to be all the validation needed to keep going. I don't live in that place every day. But only through challenge have I been forced to rely on more than myself. To dig deep into the depths of the divine.

How have you dealt with discrimination due to your illness? Or the illness of a child? How has your faith helped you rise above bitterness and respond with love?

No comments

Back to Top