Our January Snow Jam - boree

Two cups of hazelnut coffee woke my tired bones this morning. Coffee alone didn't do the job yesterday. An hour nap helped at mid day, but by night fall, I craved sleep. And I haven't been out of the house since Monday night.

A home-schooled piano and voice student started her lesson at 11am Tuesday morning, however, and by 12:30, our finish time, icy roads kept her mother from picking her up. So Gracie and I dressed warmly and went for a walk in the snow. She taught me to consider the ripeness of flakes, like Lucy, and fortunately we tasted the January kind:








As we crested the first slope of my neighborhood hill, I began calculating how much money I spent on new ankles and a back fusion last year. Reminded of the total, I said, "We better turn around. I can't risk falling down."

Noise from honking horns drifted through snow covered trees. I assumed it was getting messy out there, but little did we know Metro Atlanta was shutting down.

Back inside we shook off the snow and started cooking. Gracie made a scrumptious apple pie out of aging fruit while I vetted phone calls. Lots of phone calls. But if you lived through what I just did, then you know what I'm talking about. 

The worst moment for me came when I found out my dear friend, Debi, who is still fighting stage four cancer, was stuck in no-mans-land Villa Rica with her daughter, Olivia. While she made plans to knock on a strangers door if the cold got too much, another friend's husband rescued her in his four wheel drive SUV. Debi later told me the drive home proved scarier than sitting in the parking lot. But several of us wouldn't have slept well at all if she'd been out in the cold.

God and a big-hearted driver got her home. 

And while there are still cars stuck on the roadways and more crunched vehicles than officials can count throughout all of Atlanta, I'm amazed authorities have mentioned only one fatality. My husband spent hours helping drivers up this hill near our home. When he left Tuesday evening, the road was clear of cars. This is what he found Wednesday morning:



We aren't in control, folks. We really aren't in control. We drive on thin ice in lots of ways we don't realize, always one storm away from the norm we hold so dear being challenged to the core.

But... He. Is. Enough. 

And He longs to be enough for everyone of us.

If you have a story of how He got you home this week, I'd love to hear it!

No comments

Back to Top