An Ending and a Baby Beginning

A recent Christmas gift for me and Don purchased from Glory Haus

I filled my new ceramic grandparent mug with coffee this morning. As the hot substance warmed my hands and fueled my brain, Baby Olivia memories resurfaced with ease.

My arms cradled her 8 lb. frame - within twelve hours of her birth - just two days ago. Our fifth grandchild, and fourth girl.

The day before, however, I drove across town to where my brother-in-law's family has been preparing an estate sale. His aunt and uncle recently passed away, leaving a rather large home filled with relics, shoes, ties, antiques, China, and just lots of stuff.


And I mean... Lots. Of. Stuff.


(Like these gold plated, $175 a piece, Queen Victoria Herend dinner plates)

Available at Neiman Marcus

Aren't they gorgeous?? 

But I digress.

The couple who owned the fine china never had children and left behind a house so full and large, it's far more sad than awe inspiring. Arguments over antique pieces stirred family ire as the aging duo faced eternity. Thus combing through their stuff felt more personal than digging through my husband's underwear drawer.

Well, maybe.

I toured the six bedroom, five bathroom home, amazed that two elderly people had occupied the space. I walked among tables full of their belongings and picked and chose what I wanted - anything I wanted. Their thoughts and concerns no longer voiced.

The next morning I dressed for comfort. And after a two plus hour drive, held Baby Olivia and listened as her parents recalled the details of her entrance into the world.

Tiny hands. Barely open eyes. Tender cries.

The wonder of it all rushes over me again. Life is such an incomprehensible thing.  Especially the life of a tiny one who has breathed for only hours.

Her baby beginning followed the trail through the end of two lives, making her beauty all the more sweet.

Life matters. Real, lasting life.

Not the stuff.

Elaine, Keith, and Baby Olivia


3 comments

  1. Oh, what a good and needed reminder, Susan. We've been going through my parents' things this past few months as we moved my mom into nursing care, and my dad prepares to move into a smaller home. Thankfully, our "stuff" is mostly valuable because it's full of joyful memories. And I'm proud to say there have been NO arguments and only love and generosity among the siblings as we decide who gets what. But it has been, as you so eloquently wrote, a sobering reminder that it's LIFE and relationships that matter. The rest is all gonna burn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Congratulations on that beautiful new granddaughter! Such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Deb, Raney! Really thanks! Today is "WORK ON MUSICAL DAY!" Bird by bird... 1000 words by 1000 words. I will finish!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top