Solitude, Shepherds, and the Angels that Sang


I'm basking this morning, reliving a month of memories. Coffee sits on my nightstand with a glass of power juice. I need both. 

As of yesterday, I finished a marathon weekend - better yet, a marathon week. I cleaned an upstairs bedroom, bought a bed, and created a guest / writing room. I watched my oldest sit on the main stage at his college graduation, and later lead the coliseum full of attendees in the UGA Alma Mater. I hosted a family gathering, led my student's piano and voice recital, and accompanied a church choir for two services just yesterday morning.

My mind swirls with sounds and images that awaken all that is Christmas deep in my soul.  


Nathan leading the Alma Mater


The college graduate!
Baby in a Box on my living room floor!

Susu and Hazel who sang and played in my recital Saturday!
The entire Davis clan with me in PJ pants after a LONG day!

I started taking a supplemental vitamin product last August that provided an upswing in my energy level. Due to the cost, and some unexpected financial hits, I backed off the regimen in late October. My legs grew weaker through the month of November and a cold in early December left me extra weary this month. When I struggled to control my legs last weekend, I turned to Don and said, "I've got to double the dose again and see if it helps."

It did. In a remarkable way. And so, with a few naps thrown in, I more survived this crazy week. 

But the breakthrough came only after weeks of struggle.

As I hunkered down in early December, my mind traveled back to the dark, quiet hillside, where shepherds sat unsuspecting, just living another night of solitude. An article on the Ariel Ministries website explains:

"In a society fanatical about cleanliness, shepherds stood aside. They were never clean; it was impossible. They were constantly walking about in excrement and touching dead things, and both activities left them in a state of ritual impurity.
Because of their defiled conditions, shepherds were not allowed to go to the Temple, to offer sacrifices, or to go to the synagogues, so any religious experience a shepherd might enjoy had to be between himself and God."


(Read the insightful article here: The Real Shepherds of Bethlehem)

Before I read about their ritual impurity, I savored the notion that the angels burst forth from the heavens and sang to those separated from the masses. The divine, heavenly beings didn't shine over the town for all to see. They overflowed with joy to an audience of impure, dirty, smelly, isolated, few in number shepherds. 



Why does this matter so much to me? I've done 90% of my shopping on line. I slept through church last Sunday to rest for the week ahead.  I haven't gone to Monday night Bible study or spent my Wednesday evenings watching crime TV with Lu and Bonnie, my friend who suffers with ALS. I've hunkered down so I could accompany a church choir and indulge in family and the music of Christmas.

I have a lot of friends who have to make these kinds of choices. We may look put together when we're out amongst them, but behind the scenes, we battle solitude and isolation from what most consider the norm. 

To them I say, "Take heart, you chronically ill, the ones in pain whose lives are slowed and different. For the angels sang to the shepherds. The skies could have opened any where on the horizon. But they parted so the angels could sing to ones who lived alone, hidden away from the norm."

I love that. 

We have polished Christmas to the point we forget it was once just an earthy experience. A woman cried in labor. The new born king breathed in air rife with odors. And angels invited the dirty and impure to be the first to bear witness to the miraculous life that entered our world.

I'm grateful I'm feeling better. But when I was struggling, I found comfort knowing the shepherd's quiet night was interrupted by a brilliant touch God. Because of that, I trusted my solitude to him and tried to remember I wasn't missing out. I was just alone, in the quiet, where the first song of Christmas was sung.


photo credit: Karol Franks via photopin cc
photo credit: Laura B. Dahl via photopin cc

5 comments

  1. Loved this post, Susan. So glad you're able to enjoy the season. You were making ME tired with all you've accomplished! :) A warm and blessed Christmas to you and your loved ones. God is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my Bible college professors said that as disreputable as shepherds were considered, the 23rd Psalm must have befuddled many, "The Lord is my SHEPHERD..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Deb. Yes, He is very good. Very timely. And what a great point, Reverend Rognyt. Thanks for adding that insight. Yes, the Lord is our shepherd. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always look forward to your posts! As I have to save my energy each day for one special event..watching grand baby, lunch with friend, church,...I was wondering if the supplement you tried would help. Can you tell me about it?
    Merry Christmas❤ Linda Holleman

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, check out www.reliv.com and contact me at susan@susanschreer.com with any more questions. I tried the product due to an ingredient called lunasin and it has helped a great deal with pain, especially!! Hope you had a great holiday week.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top