Now Departing the Roller Coaster Holiday Train

I downed the last sip in my coffee cup this morning, glanced at the pile of stuff next to Don's dresser, and realized the hip brace I've been missing was right where I put it three weeks ago - in a plastic grocery bag  next the other leg braces I keep on hand.

When I pulled the brace from the bag, I knew I'd departed the roller coaster holiday train for good.

Just last night, I shed tears over the ups and downs of the season. The ups have been numerous. Overwhelmingly good. But they've all been followed by a physical let down.

It's the way of chronic disease. And in my case, chronic mitochondrial disease.





We spent New Year's Eve with friends in their grandmother's cabin in Blue Ridge, having reserved a room in a motel near by. When we made the plans, I didn't think to ask where the potty was in the cabin, or to make sure the hotel had an elevator if we were on the second floor.

Having downed a big smoothie, a Starbuck's coffee, and a large lemon power aid drink at Wendy's on our drive north, I arrived at the cabin in need of the potty. Several times. And the steep climb up the stairs wore out my legs. They grew stiff and awkward in time.

We laughed a lot. I sang more Broadway tunes in one evening than I have in years. And the Wright's grandma taught us a new card game that she's played since she was ten.

Ringing in the new year with friend's who are missing their mom, wife, and daughter proved very rich indeed. But when I climbed the tall concrete and steel staircase to our motel room one last time, pain shot through my ankle, the likes of which makes me wonder if more surgery remains inevitable.

After breakfast the next morning followed by a two hour drive home, I dove into bed for a nap and never quite brushed off  the residual sluggish feeling. And that's when the tears fell. That's when I explained to Don that for every high I've experienced, I've had to succumb to an inevitable low. A tired exhaustion that requires rest and recovery - and a mental fight against the blues.

Just last weekend, after the big Christmas week push, I spent almost twenty four hours in bed. I would wake, eat a meal, and lay right back down because sitting up took too much effort.

I'm doing much better. My power juice is still making a difference. But as I peruse Facebook and see others on family trips and outings, I mourn my limits.

There. I said it. In the midst of grand celebration, I've mourned my limits.

Life will calm down this week. I'll get back to my manageable routine. And might even find that my power juice combined with appropriate physical exertion will leave me a tad stronger. There's always hope. 




But for those who rode the highs and lows of the roller coaster holiday train with me; for those who fought nagging grief in the midst of celebration... take heart, you're not alone. No matter what FB status' indicate, it's the way of this world.

The struggle is real. The internal fight quite constant. So don't give up. Just step off the holiday roller coaster ride with me and enjoy the simplicity of day to day living - even if in the confines of limitations.

"Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance." (Ps. 16: 5 - 6)

photo credit: Jon.B. via photopin cc
photo credit: cadburynaught via photopin cc
photo credit: hagerman via photopin cc
photo credit: No Longer Active !! via photopin cc

6 comments

  1. I LOVE the verse at the end. Hugs, my friend! You are not alone. Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes- we have a date!! See you soon, Amy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds all too familiar. Oh for a life without stairs. We will be going to my Mother-in-Law's for her 90th birthday tomorrow. The question is do we stay overnight or just drive the 2.5 hours home late Saturday night. The thought of trying to sleep in bed that is not my own is tiring. I voted for the late Saturday. I'm looking forward to "cabin fever" months where we don't leave home much. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It very much makes sense. My oldest moves out tomorrow. My youngest and his bride have already gone back to their apartment. I always battle odd feelings when they leave - especially since as of tomorrow they'll both have their own place. It's been a bit hard. However, once I'm back into our simple "cabin" dwelling routine, I'll value the empty nest again. It's much easier. Safe driving. And Happy 90th Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year Susan! Thank you once again for your honesty-it allows God to shine through even in the midst of struggles and encourages others who struggle also.. I've had a busy couple of weeks and in the last week or so have started to s l o w down-although not out of choice, and it brought with it some anxiety, but it reminded me (as I seem to frequently forget!) that He is the same always, He never changes and He is just as here for me now as He has been at every other time-He has me no matter what-when I take hold of that, what a difference! I hope you can rest and recuperate over the next few weeks-you did fantastically well over Christmas participating in so many activities, rest well and I look forward to another post soon ( : Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're so sweet, Vicky!! Sorry for your slow down. They're always hard to accept. Looking back it seems I should be able to process them better. But truth is, when I'm forced to slow down, I'm often so tired I don't have best processors to take it in stride. So I'm loving the simpler life. Kids gone. Eating better. Sleeping more!! A good combination! Blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top