A Boot, a Book, and Angels All Around

(Before I being, please forgive me for not being able to post on a regular basis lately. My schedule changed and I've struggle to figure out which day I can guarantee a post. Starting this week, I'm shooting for Monday evenings. We'll see how that goes. Thanks for your patience!)

A few sips of coffee still lingered in my mug last Thursday, when a student called to cancel our lesson. Since I needed to rehearse with a local high school choir around 3 pm before heading across town to accompany Nathan's high school choral concert later that night, I was grateful for time to rest and write.

Reclined in Bonnie's brown leather chair, I savored the quiet, took care of some emails, stood to walk some, and then stretched. After stretching, my right foot collapsed, rolled outward, and made forward movement a cumbersome challenge. 

It startled me some.

And then, I kept going.

While further decline overflowed into tears several times last week, I'm adjusting to the change. Far from lady-like, the awkward strides forced me to try my post surgical boot. And it helped.

Now, the very black, Star Wars looking contraption accents every outfit I wear. And may be an accessory for quite a while.

In all likelihood, I need surgery to realign my foot. My tall arches and cavovarus feet have created an instability that can only be surgically corrected. A surgeon will make the final call when I see him in a few days. But since he already suggested the fix in January, it's probably just a matter of time.


And that, dear friends, is the big, bad, scary news.



The good news? The very, very good news?

My book, titled, The Great Undoing and My Journey Home, will soon be in print, available for download and purchase.

I approved a cover design just this week and within days, should be looking over final proofs for the entire manuscript. So while I've been scheduling more doctor appointments, trying to find the best way to keep living, progress has continued.

The black boot signifies a slowed pace but the book speaks major forward momentum. However, the juxtaposition of the good and bad has squeezed tight in my brain some days, crossing the wires of despair and hope. When that happens, sparks fly, making tears fall.

Thus, I'm very grateful that I got to spend some time in the studio, recording two new songs today. Both are mentioned in the book with QR codes that link to where they will be posted on my web site.

So while you sift through your personal muck and mire (or the political ordure of the day) I hope this new song will encourage you as it has encouraged me. For even though I wrote it while caring for a dying friend two summers ago, it just makes me happy.

"When the servant of the man of God got up and went out early the next morning, an army with horses and chariots had surrounded the city. 'Oh no, my lord! What shall we do?' the servant asked.

'Don’t be afraid,' the prophet answered. 'Those who are with us are more than those who are with them.'

And Elisha prayed, 'Open his eyes, Lord, so that he may see.' Then the Lord opened the servant’s eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha" (2 Kings 6: 15 - 17).




photo credit: Breakfast via photopin (license)
photo credit: RAY FALL via photopin (license)

No comments

Back to Top