The Great Undoing and a Few Blind Mice

No matter how much coffee I indulged in the week after surgery, I couldn't sit upright for long. Days drifted by while I lay in a drug induced state of slumber. Thankfully, the combined effects of anesthesia and narcotics have finally begun to wane, and I'm feeling more like myself.

Phase one post surgery - complete.

I stayed at my parent's home a few extra days after a particular phone call. Before we said goodnight, Don told me that Eggs, our cat, was sitting at the top of our basement stairs, waiting for me to come home. While I didn't buy into the notion that the feline was pining for me, I tuned in when he added, "Wait a minute. She's chasing a mouse."

"A mouse?" I retorted.

"Yes, a mouse."

As I sat in horror, he described her movements as she toyed with said mouse. In time Don decided the rodent was dead enough to throw outside. Actually, he first suggested that he was going to hit the creature with a shoe and then throw it outside.

Still in a drug-induced state, I begged him not too, imagining mouse innards spread all over my living room carpet. My farm boy husband assured me that he'd never seen a mouse explode when stepped on, but his reassurance meant little.



So when I shared hat he found another chewed up mouse a few days later - in the same living room - I threatened to not come home until he figured out where they were coming from... or until our refrigerator was fixed.

Yes, our grandiose ice box hasn't worked since Feb. 19th.



It's a long story and we are currently using a college-sized refrigerator one of my boys left in our basement. But too many mice and no ice made the comfort of my parent's house quite appealing.


In time, I eventually caved and came home. I may visit them again soon, but for now, I'm adjusting to self-care on a knee scooter.

The good news?

I received an email a few hours ago that indicated the first copies of my book have shipped. A soft copy and a hard copy will arrive Wednesday and once I approve the printing, a large shipment will soon be on its way. Would you believe I just downloaded this photo from amazon?


Don asked me if I'm excited and I think I'm more nervous than excited. I was quite transparent as I wrote and can only hope the message speaks.

Time will tell.

As I warmed dinner this evening, Eggs carried in a squirmy-worm-looking-creature, which has me wondering if she carried the mice in too when Don wasn't looking. Sometimes he keeps a small window open so she can come and go at will. I sure hope that's the case.

And I also hope God speaks to you, my faithful readers, through my book, "The Great Undoing and My Journey Home."

You can purchase it here on amazon, or wait and get a copy from me in a few weeks.

I'll share more about the story next week. For now, I'm going to keep healing and dream a little about what's to come.



photo credit: This makes me all gooey via photopin (license)
photo credit: Wood mouse via photopin (license)
photo credit: Leftovers via photopin (license)

2 comments

  1. Hi Susan, first of all big apologies for not responding re your surgery post-really hope you feel you are on the road to recovery and secondly, a huge congrats on finishing your book and having it 'out there'! Does it feel a bit scary too?! I'm really looking forward to reading it-I've just bought it in the kindle edition-very exciting :) I'm not sure what your emotions are now it's finished (maybe excitement because you have another book planned! Or possibly drained and a little flat?) but I pray you'd feel His loving presence and His great delight in you. Much love, Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  2. How does it feel? I was really nervous until I held it in my hands. The cover looked far better than it did through email and I just felt peace. I do not have another book planned because this one needs to sell before I go through that again. It took a long time to get here so right now I just feel peace. Ironically, it posted on Amazon on my oldest son's birthday (3-29). And then my first amazon review posted on my first husband's birthday (4-7). Those dates encourage me a little - like a postcard from God saying, "I got this, girl." I'm doing better. But find when I do to much, I really feel it. But given it's not even three weeks yet, I'd say I'm doing quite well. Still no weight-bearing so I ride the knee scooter which is both fun and tricky! Love you! And likewise, may you sense His presence and His great delight in you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top