An Epic Ride Through NYC

The three story M&M store that lies a block from Times Square lured me in more than once. Floor to ceiling windows surrounded colorful merchandise, including an array of coffee mugs. A peanut M&M fan myself, I indulged in a few items in honor of my friend, Lu, who always has a mound of chocolate available on Bible Study night.

It was epic.

While I traveled a great deal in my childhood, I never walked the streets of Manhattan... until last weekend. Chapter five of my book, The Great Undoing and My Journey Home, details the time we accidentally drove through the city on the 10th anniversary of 9/11. But even then, we didn't stop. 

It was late. We had a flight to catch. But deep down, I longed to experience the city that never sleeps.

So when we learned late last fall that Nathan, my oldest son, would be singing at Carnegie Hall with the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chorus this spring, I wanted to go. But with my feet turning in, I was hesitant.

Fast forward a few months, and only hours after Courtney and Sam learned that my friend, Bonnie, had died in late January, they came home for the weekend. Their presence soothed my inner ache even before Courtney suggested, "Let's plan our trip to New York."

In need of something to look forward to, we buried our heads in our lap tops and searched for travel bargains. Satisfied, we booked the trip, and then my feet took a turn for the worse.

After several phone calls and a little begging, my surgeon worked me in quickly, hoping I'd be able to walk by the time we left for New York. It didn't happen. And the night before we left, I stewed over what equipment to take: the knee scooter or the walker/wheelchair device.

As we walked out the basement door at 4am, I went with the knee scooter, hoping I'd made the right choice. And I did - especially when combined with leftover tramadol.

The synthetic narcotic gave me energy and pain relief. And both were desperately needed - even if I felt like a pill popper for a few days.

So even though my youngest son's parting words to me were, "Mom, you use the word 'epic' too much." Bottom line, the entire trip was truly epic.

I feel braver, stronger, and maybe even more self assured after tackling New York with a knee scooter. Don pushed me as much as I walked. But together, we made a good team and sweet memories...


Hunched over in my slow-to-wake-up-FB-perusing mode, I didn't realize a camera was turned my way. But since it was, notice how I rest my non-prism glasses on the side of my nose since they don't have bifocals. Don does not like the off-kilter look.





But he waited until I had a large Starbuck's coffee in hand before announcing he was taking early morning photos. A smart move.


Dressed and caffeinated, we made our way to Times Square.





Hours later, Nathan arrived.


So we took a subway to the 9/11 memorial.



Though we original decided against paying to ride to the top of any building, we changed our minds and headed to the World One Observatory. And I'm so glad we did.




Courtney craved dumplings from China Town.


And Nathan wanted pizza from Little Italy.


As you can see, my knee scooter and I traveled far. When my leg couldn't take the strain anymore, Don pushed from behind. It wasn't easy, but keeping up with my kids spurred me on. So the next day, we met up at Central Park.





On our way back I noticed one thing. So in case you ever head to New York on a knee scooter, rest assured, Fifth Avenue is a much smoother ride than Seventh and takes you right past...


And if you turn right a few blocks down, the Rockefeller Center


And I guess that's what amazed me most. For three days, I rolled among buildings that serve as the epicenter of news, entertainment, and the magic that has always been New York, including Carnegie Hall.


High in the nose bleed section, I couldn't get a good picture of Nathan. But he was on the second row from the back, smack in the middle of the group. While he acts nonchalant about the whole thing, I can't. Read the New York Times review here!


Since we didn't arrive home until midnight Sunday, it's taken a few days for me to get back on track. But my suitcase is unpacked, my laundry done, and now memories are recorded here. And no matter what Sam says, it truly was epic.

Being with my kids in a bustling city. Conquering mobility issues with a sporty aid. Feeling fully alive only six weeks after surgery.

I guess it's just like the song says, "If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere. It's up to you, New York, New York."




3 comments

  1. Glad you had such an epic event. While I hold no aspirations of visiting large cities, it is obvious you built great memories. Relationships often suffer when we don't focus on them. I'm sure your family will long carry beautiful views of you putting everything on the line to be in their lives. In that, God can also be honored.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pleased you got to go on your trip and enjoy it so much. Love how you got that opportunity after 'driving through' those years ago : ) My daughter is going to New York with her school in February and she can't wait! Vicky xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Reverend Rognty. I feel like I missed out on a lot of trips with my boys. So giving it my all in NYC certainly made up for some lost time. Love that your daughter is heading to NYC, Vicky. She will definitely have a great time. Relationships and good memories. Both a gift from above.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top