Till I'm Hurtin' No More

I've been diving deep.

It could be the sinus pressure that made me linger in bed. Or the cough that left me feeling like rocks churned in my chest. Or perhaps the amount of time I’ve abstained from Starbuck’s coffee.

Regardless, after Echinacea soup and a doctor’s visit, albuterol has me breathing better. Flonase has lessened the nasal pressure. And I’m seated in a Starbuck’s sipping a soy milk caramel macchiato.


It’s a new thing. A way to get out of the house.


The music and chatter may distract, but it’s worth a try. I may even learn to prefer the background noise to the screaming silence in my house.

I attended three days of Vacation Bible School last week. Dressed in crazy costumes, I registered children as they arrived. But then workers discovered mold in our church building Wednesday, and VBS was cancelled.

So Thursday morning I woke to my first summer's day with no agenda. Thoughts turned to my book, so late in the afternoon I strolled into my local Barnes and Noble and asked if they’d stock it. When the manager agreed, I felt like...




I woke Friday ready to build on the previous day’s success. Thus, when I walked into physical therapy, I didn’t balk when they pushed my limits—again. But they went too far.

It was strange. All they’d asked me to do was to place my right foot in front of my left on a foam pad and balance. But I couldn’t do it.

My left ankle flopped back and forth like a dying fish.

Still, the therapist asked me to try again on a harder foam surface. I didn’t want to, but I also didn’t want him to think I was disagreeable. So I tried again—to no avail.

Determined, he asked me to balance on the hard floor. It still didn’t work and I finally said, “I really can’t do this.”
I could tell what he couldn’t… the foot was wearing out.

And sure enough, when I went to walk, I was pigeon-toed and unable to move forward without great difficulty.

I could feel the tears build, but prattled on about my kids and my book and anything else happy I could drone on about to keep emotions at bay.

sweet memories like these:
a springtime lunch


the mountains in July '14


chick-fil-a just two weeks ago


As I drove away from therapy, however, I lost it. I had planned to go to the grocery store, but changed course. At Nick’s BBQ, I headed to the food counter and fell apart - again.

You see I’ve handled leg weakness for a long time. But there’s something about this pigeon-toed thing that challenges me to the core. It throws my balance, feels unattractive, and requires extra focus and resolve.

Kind waiters filled my order and carried it to the car. So I went home, ate too many gluten-filled cheese biscuits, and wept.

For now I’m waiting to hear my surgeon’s opinion on scheduling the left foot reconstruction. Part of me hopes it will happen soon so the healing can begin, while another part of me wants the foot to calm so I can wait.

In the meantime, if I walk slowly and purposefully and hold my foot up straight, I can disguise the issue.

And that will have to do for now as I wait for docs to call and schedulers to schedule and days to unfold.

So I've been diving deep and writing songs.

I planned on sharing the other one, but Lu's keyboard didn't have a sustain pedal and this song works much better without it.

So here's to fighting for life, believing for love, and trusting that one day I won't be hurtin' no more.




photo credit: Good Morning via photopin (license)

8 comments

  1. Ah Susan,I read some of this before work this morning and lifted you to our Dad as I walked to school. Home now and just finished the remainder of your post-I'm sitting with you in the hard and if I lived near I'd be singing with you too ��Dive deep my friend xxx (Vicky by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend. Sweet encouragement. Thanks for praying. I didn't feel quite so alone yesterday. And sometimes that's more than half the battle. Love you!!

      Delete
  2. You encouraged me and made me cry this morning! Love you so much, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you too, Ms. Amy. We will make it... we will go through!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You give us all hope. When we realize it's not about us, but about God working through us. Press on. One day you will be "hurting no more". God is working through you. I lift you up to Jesus, the One who holds us in His hands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy. Your prayers mean a lot. I'm so glad we met!!

      Delete
  5. Susan,
    I loved your song, and identify with the longing to be "hurting no more". I am recovering from foot surgery to put an end to 3 years of plantar fasciitis pain, and I am praying it works. I think of you as I use my knee scooter and crutches! If only there was a way to "fix" the migraine disease I've had for 4+ decades. You encourage me, friend. I am lifting you up in prayer.
    Patty D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Patty, Thanks so much! Yes, a kindred spirit! Thank you for praying for me and for commenting on the song. You're the first to do the latter and your encouragement is appreciated. Lifting you to great healer as well. "By His stripes we are healed." Sometimes I like to say that just to put it out in the air waves despite how I physically feel. Blessings!

      Delete

Back to Top