Smockin' Hot Feet

After weeks of waffling on my quest toward health, I’ve grown comfortable with half-a-cup of morning coffee with a teaspoon of 100% pure maple syrup. My acupuncturist may disagree. But there’s something sacred to me about the smell, the taste, and the feel of a cup of coffee in my hands. It speaks, “A new day has dawned. Awake and enjoy.”

So, while I continue to integrate change into my life, I haven’t given up on a morning cup-of-Joe. Instead, I've started smockin’ my feet.

I purchased a box of mini-moxa sticks three weeks ago, but didn't light them for several weeks. When I finally got up the courage to give them a try, I asked Don to work the flame.

Why go to this extreme?

As of this last week, my hips and legs have been relatively pain free. But my feet hurt a lot. Knowing that I’m not even three months post the left-foot reconstruction puts that pain into perspective. 

But since my physical therapist mentioned I should consider taking anti-inflammatory drugs—like the kind that aggravate my stomach, trying moxa at home had greater appeal.

Moxibustion, “a form of fire heat treatments,” can be used to “stimulate specific acupuncture points of the body.” At home, I stick the small, cigar-shaped mugwort herbs where the pain is most intense. As the smoke rises from both the top and bottom of the lit cone, “the heat increases local bloodflow and creates a deep relaxation response.” (Tanaka, Tim H. Ph.D. "Moxibustion: An Ancient Fire Acupuncture Therapy." acupuncture-treatment.com.)



I felt a big difference after another treatment last night, but limped through more pain today. So, I’m curious to see what difference a week or two of consistent treatments makes.

In keeping with perspective, however, when I saw my primary care doctor over a month ago, she explained that our bodies often react to new supplements for a time, only to face a drop off after three months. Meaning, I really won’t know how much I’ve changed until the leaves are back on the trees. 

But I'll wait with hope any day. And until then, I'll celebrate recent steps taken. 


I wore my new On Cloud running shoes to the Don's family farm this weekend. His family and descendants have owned and operated the sprawling estate in South Georgia since the late 1800's. 

A distinct quiet greets us when we open the car door. A lifetime of memories clutter the yard. Only four hours south of Atlanta, a distinct cultural shift demands a change in gear. 

And I like it.

After a Saturday morning meeting with his brothers, Don and I readied for an afternoon toast and roast. In 1972 and '73, Coach Fred Shaver led the Southeast Bulloch High School football team, and their smockin' hot feet, to two state championships. (My husband caught the winning pass in the last minutes of the 72' season game!) Members of those teams gathered to celebrate their beloved coach. 



By the time we left, I felt like I'd been to church. Stories of faith and servant leadership left me with deep respect for Coach Shaver. 

But what spoke even more in this tumultuous time was the presence of Terry Reed, who drove from Boston to hang with his teammates and coach.

While desegregation sparked protests in neighboring counties back in the early 70's, several attendees spoke of the smooth transition they experienced in high school. When Terry approached Don, I asked his opinion.

"A lot of us worked side-by-side, picking cotton and tobacco," he explained. "So it really wasn't a big deal going to to school together."

And if someone took offense, coach was quick to remind his boys that they were to live and act as one in Christ, in church, in the halls of the school, and on the field. 


Terry and Don



Perhaps we all need to spend some time picking cotton and tobacco with our bare hands, side-by-side, to put things in perspective. Hard work and a lot of sweat, while killing rattle snakes with sticks, might make us stronger in a good way. 




I'm currently resting my smockin' hot feet rather than gearing up for the fields. But the spiritual harvest is ripe. And I hope that these feet will soon carry me to places where I can speak peace. 

For in Christ we are one. Black or White. Yellow or Brown. Liberal or Conservative. We are to live and act as one.

"How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, 'Your God reigns!'" (Isaiah 52: 7 NIV).


PS) I fell in the shower today. Slipped on a soapy foot. While I'm thankful I didn't damage my hip, I'm afraid I twisted my left foot beyond what is good. I see my doctor Thursday and sure appreciate prayers for healing till then. 



Some photos courtesy of pixabay.com

No comments

Back to Top